The original school was known as Moulton Village Council School and was opened in 1881. The earliest records date back only to March 1924 due to a fire which destroyed earlier accounts of the school’s history. The school moved to its present position from older premises in June 1975 and became known as The John Harrox County Primary School in memory of a local benefactor who made his home in Moulton in the 17th Century. John Harrox left an estate in the parish from which he decreed that part of the income should be used for the education of the children of the parish and, therefore, the school benefits from an annual endowment.
In 1975 the new school building catered for 159 children and consisted of four blocks, one with two classrooms, a shared work area, cloaks and toilets, another comprising of four classrooms with similar work area, cloaks and toilets, the third an administration area and the fourth a kitchen and dining area, with an octagonal hall at the centre.
Since 1975 the number on roll has risen annually and in 1991 the redundant kitchen area was converted into additional classroom space, followed in 1992 by the building of a new classroom extension. During the following seven years extensions were added to increase existing classroom space, improvements made to office space and school security, 1999 saw the completion of a new library area, in 2000 a conservatory extension for Foundation Stage use was built and in 2001 our sixteen workstation modern computer suite was constructed. The school roll now stands at 286 children.
There is a large playground to the south of the school and an extensive playing field incorporating a large gazebo, a trim trail and a developing environmental nature area. A large outdoor enclosed soft surface play area for the Foundation Stage is situated directly adjacent to the Early Years classrooms with outdoor storage for large play equipment.
September 2006 saw the completion of our new sports hall, replacement classroom, internal remodelling of two Key Stage 1 classrooms, redesigned offices and extended playground areas.
The ethos of our school is to create a warm, happy, caring, secure and stimulating environment, and we are proud of our achievements.